Top 10 Mistakes
Common web site sins:
- Unclear message - you have 20-40 seconds from the time a person clicks on your link in a search engine for your website to load and capture your visitor with a compelling message.
- Multimedia overload. Just because you can add flash, animation and sound doesn't mean you should.
- Long download times- Research shows that after 10 seconds, users lose interest--Design a speedy site.
- Using frames - Breaking up your pages with frames is confusing for your visitors and difficult for search engines to index.
- Dead links and orphan pages. Make sure all your links and pages function properly.
- Awkward Navigation - Did you know the average Web site user can find the information he or she wants only 42% of the time? Get the latest techniques for helping your customers use your site with ease.
- Splash screens that redirect to another web page - A large percentage of visitors never make it past these well-intentioned introductory pages.
- Ads, irrelevant links and Non-Stop Animation will drive customers away. Your website must solve your customers problem and make it easy for them to understand your business.
- Putting too much informagion into one page - The majority of users will totally miss content not immediately visible. Increase your websites' effectiveness by streamlining its design and breaking up content into multiple pages.
- Not enough new quality content, too much fluff - Keep good information on your site and retain archival information while updating your site regularly. Visitors will notice your stagnant designs and outdated information.