Here is a recent article from the Los Angeles times discussing title tags and the multi million dollar decisions that come from a properly worded title. The article is about the Hollywood film industry, but it could also be written about websites.
It is not possible to overstate the importance of a good title.
A savvy marketer knows that the title is the most important element to a story. Most writers & advertisers will spend 10% creating the content and 90% of their time rewriting and optimizing their page title.
Helpful Movie Titles
- American Gangster – anything American is cool
- Disturbia – mashup of disturbing and suburbia
- Kramer vs. Kramer – relationship film
- Raiders of the Lost Arc – knockoff of the 30’s 40’s and 50’s adventure films
- Talladega Nights: The Ballad Of Ricky Bobby – a long title is a rarity, but this reeked of satire and alluded to a satisfying comedy
Harmful Movie Titles
- Cinderellla Man – historically accurate, but has no relation to boxing
- Gigli – you need to be able to easily pronounce a title
- The Shawshank Redemption – solemn, ponderous title gave no indication of redeeming prison film
- Step Into Liquid – surfing documentary missed its target
- Tears of the Sun – generic name for a Bruce Willis action flick.
Read the story as only the hollywood reporter los angeles times can write it.