Your auto shop has a 15 point inspection list for optimizing your driving experience (making sure you don’t break down 50 miles away from home) and SEO’s need a website evaluation checklist.
Proper on page search engine optimization starts with identifying your targeted keywords and keyword phrases. Once you have your keyword list you may begin optimizing individual pages
The 15 Point SEO Checklist
- Title tag starts with keyword phrase
- Domain name or filename contains desired keyword phrase
- Each content page or product has only one spiderable page – there is no duplicate content on the site and all pages have unique content
- Each page has a heading element <h1> containing the targeted keyword phrase
- Important site keywords should be linked to other internal pages. For example in this phrase ‘we have additional green lanterns in the gift section’ the keyword ‘green lanterns’ should link to a focused page on this keyword
- Your keyword phrase appears in the first sentence
- Targeted keyphrases are proximate to each other. For example if your keyword was ‘auto parts’ and this your sentence was ‘find auto parts in our Los Angeles stores’ the phrase ‘Los Angeles stores’ would become part of the secondary keyword phrase.
- Main keywords should be highlighted/bold/italics/underlined
- Keywords should be towards the beginning of a sentence
- Images should be links and use alt text. Alt text is indexed only if the image is hyperlinked.
- Meta description tag contains keyword phrase
- Title attribute is used in hyperlinks: <a href=”link.html” title=”additional keywords”></a>
- Keyword is in the last sentence of the page
- Outbound links to major authority site or link to trusted resources, government documents, or third party verification sites. An example of linking out to an authority site would be a CPA business linking to IRS.gov
- You can include the keyword in the meta keywords tag, but this has no known impact on website ranking
After you have completed these 15 items for all website pages the next task is off page search engine optimization, which is defined as acquiring backlinks or simply getting people to link to you.